Sometimes wedding planning can be fun and exciting, while other times it can be frustrating and tedious (to put it lightly). It’s not all yummy cake tastings and pretty gown shopping sprees; there are quite a few nitty gritty tasks that take up hours upon hours of labor before the big day arrives. That being said, some of this time can actually be made tolerable, maybe even enjoyable, with the right side entertainment. Engaged has gone ahead and gathered a list of movie options to play as background noise while you’re addressing invites / writing thank yous / working on some super complicated and time intensive DIY project that no one outside of your bridal party / spouse / mother will appreciate so-why-are-you-even-bother… Ahem.
Getting back on track, these films are in no particular order. But, it should be noted that a good amount of forethought went into these selections, with the requirements being:
- Must be wedding-related. This is a wedding blog, after all. What did you expect? Besides, if we didn’t narrow down the romantic comedy options, we’d be here all day. We may have cheated a bit, though, and included films that only have a ten second marriage montage in the final moments… *Shrugs* Close enough.
- Must follow a lovey-dovey storyline. Refer to requirement # 1. Also, you might need some gentle reminders that true love is actually worth all of the suffering your hands are enduring while gluing those tiny twigs to your rustic centerpieces.
- Must have a happy ending. Because what engaged person wants to watch a movie where the couple doesn’t work out? Or ends up dead? (We’re looking at you The Notebook. Sorry, should we have put a spoiler warning? It has been thirteen years).
- You must have seen it before OR it must be super predictable (as suggested by #3). That way you don’t have to worry about paying close attention to the plot while you’re trying to remember which gift Great Aunt Rose brought to your bridal shower.
- Must feature attractive people. This shouldn’t be difficult to find because, duh, it’s Hollywood. Hotness is basically a pre-requisite for Rom-Coms. Still, this is super important: Your weary eyes will need a break from scrutinizing seating arrangements and will surely appreciate having something nice to look up at every once in a while – believe us, your fiancé(e) will understand. And if they do have any gripes, they better be helping with said project!
So, without further ado, here is a comprehensive list of our top films to watch while wedding planning, broken down by genre.
*Note: A lot of these titles aren’t actually available on Netflix… but between that, Hulu, Amazon Prime, On Demand and Redbox, we’re confident that you’ll be able to track them down.
If you love yourself a good, quirky female protagonist:
And because we all know it can take a while to find “the one.”
*Available to stream on Hulu Plus
If you’re into the whole “fake relationship” trope:
If you’re a sucker for good-natured family dramas:
It’s nice knowing you’re not the only one with crazy relatives.
If you’re more than familiar with the former struggles of single life:
Because at least it’s funny in retrospect.
If you know the ins-and-outs of the wedding business all too well:
You’d think we’d all be experts at love right off the bat… nope!
If you’re all about the foreign films:
But seriously, both of these are absolute gems.
If you’re marrying your best friend:
If by some ungodly reason you haven’t seen the latter, drop everything your’re doing and go watch it right now.
*Available to stream on Amazon Prime
If you’re a lover of the classics (be they film or book):
Any iteration of P&P will do, but we’re partial to the 2005 remake.
*Colin Firth version available to stream on Hulu Plus, Keira Knightley version available on Netflix
If you believe in fairy tales:
Come on, we needed to throw in at least one Disney film.
*Available to stream on Netflix
If you’re a sports fan:
Marriage is at least implied here, people!
If you’re looking for something new:
Yea, we had to do it.
If you like a healthy dose of comedy with your romance:
These are the perfect amount of ridiculous.
If you’re super secure in your relationship with your in-laws:
Please, tell us your secret.
*Available to stream on Netflix
And if you just like pure angst and pain and heartbreak:
*Taylor Swift voice* Don’t say we didn’t, say we didn’t warn ya.
*MBFW available to stream on Hulu Plus, AWTR available to stream on Netflix
Think we missed any? Tell us what you’d binge watch in the comments!